Wednesday 6 February 2008

Cabarete - First 3 days

Well, we are here, the sun is out and the wind has been blowing...

We spent out first few nights at Kite Beach at the Extreme Hotel, now run by the KiteLounge guys. Pretty basic, but pretty cheap. Sadly the kitchen area and a few other bits aren't ready yet. They've only had the place a few weeks, and it's best described as 'work in progress'.
Can't knock the guys, dead friendly and helpful, but we've decided to upgrade to a somewhat plusher (and more expensive) pad as we're going to be here for 2 weeks. More on that later..

Day One

Arrived, had a couple of beers, ate food and passed out.

Day Two
Bodyclock woke me up at stupid o'clock. Waited around till noon for the wind to kick in (The winds here are thermally driven, so you're almost guaranteed wind from 12-6) and set out on the 13m.


Spent the afternoon adjusting to new equipment; My board hadn't been ridden without booties before and required some fiddling with the footpads to get my feet in the right place to edge effectively, and it was the 13's first outing on the water.

The PD2 is a little different to the old kite in it's power delivery and it wasn't until the end of the session that started to feel at home on this kite. The kite definitely is at it's best when well powered and as the wind filled in during the afternoon it started feeling more solid. However, I pretty tired by then and called it a day.

One thing is for sure, the water here is fabulously warm, even in February :)

Day Three
Awoke to find I had been early breakfast for the local insect population. (No A/C or fan, so closed windows weren't really an option)


As the noon wind watershed approached, a big front loomed on the horizon. Once the accompanying light drizzle has passed, the wind really picked up and I nervously headed out with the 9m. (on the correct knots this time!). The kite was well powered and I soon started feeling at home, trying a few jumps and spins (or 'crashes' they are otherwise known). Some of the locals then went out and set about completely overshadowing my airbourne prowess with some real big air and unhooked mentalism - some of these lads are sh*t hot.


Once the brief high winds has settled down, I went back out on the 13m. Felt much better this time, and I was soon out on the reef playing with the waves, and actually landing some jumps and tricks! Taken a little while to find my feet with these kites, but they are coming good now. Feel much like the old PD1, but even smoother and with much improved depower.





My session ended a little oddly. I got sent off downwind by some crashing learners and had to exit out between the reefs further down the beach. Walking back with the kite, I was watching the other kiters rather than my kite which promptly wrapped itself around the top of a coconut tree (stupid yes, but not a hazard I'm used to on my home turf!).

Thankfully with a little persuassion and cursing I was able to free the kite and lines from said tree before anyone other than some local gardeners had the opportunity to laugh at my expense. I glad to report that kite and lines are perfectly fine.


JN Primadonna2 big tree durability test: tick.

After all that, we went off looking at some potential alternative accomodation, which unfortunately was full :(
However, got chatting to the very friendly Laurel Eastman (ex pro kiter, and now of SeaSpecs advert fame!) further down the beach, who hooked us up with a good deal for one of the swish apartments near her kiteschool. Was somewhat more than we had been paying, but we're now living it up in a fully air-con'ed two bedroom apartment with a fab kitchen, all mod cons and no darn mosquitos.

So, the accomodation is now less 'extreme', but the forecast is looking good, I've settled into my new kites and hopefully I can make up for it on the water!

Clare's looking at hooking up the kiteschool tomorrow and taking to the water (albeit on a Waroo!) which is good, although if the kitesurf bug does bite, a windswept Camber Sands in March might be a bit of a shock when we get back!


No comments: