Sunday 10 February 2008

Cabarete - Days 4-6


Well.. it's been sunny and windy everyday. Can't really complain! Clare's had a little tuition and got up on the board on her second lesson (something that took me weeks!)

Getting on very well with the 13m now - the range is fantastic. Even when it's really blowing, I've barely had to touch the trim. Been enjoying going huge instead! Getting big air with the increased depower is very easy.

The kite doesn't go so well at it's bottom end (although the warm wind here may be a little deceptive) I do think that the old kite had slightly better bottom end performance. I don't think I'd buy a bigger one than a 13. Will be interesting to try the WildThing2 when I get home to compare in this area. Not sure whether a 16.5WT2 or a 15DaVinci BAT would be the better low wind kite.

However, the top-end performance is way beyond the old kite. There's a german chap here with a brace of old Primadonnas. Yesterday, he went out on the 12 while I was on the 13 - both going well. I think the bottom end of the 13PD2 is closer to the old 12 than the 14. However, as the wind picked up he was soon in for a 10 while I was simply enjoying the view from a higher altitude on the jumps and still having plenty of depower to fly upwind.


The comfort factor on the new kites is great. I couldn't care less if people think old-school c kites are more 'hardcore'.. I haven't had to ride out a gust in a plume of spray and gritted teeth since I got here, I just push the bar out and carry on. Long sessions are far less tiring and the added power control on carves and landing rotations is very welcome.



Clare seems have taken to bow kites and is getting on well with the school Waroos.
Most of her previous kiting experience has been with quick turning fixed bridle kites where the power is made on the stroke rather than through the turns and bows seem to come closest to this with the added bonus of huge depower and safety. Hopefully the new JN Switchcraft bar will shorten the reach to the trim enough for her to try a DaVinci.

I personally think a bar with a trim adjuster on the chicken loop and a sliding stopper would work well on the new JNs. Will have to see what they come up with...



Forecast continues to look good :)

No comments: