Sunday 27 January 2008

Sunday morning trundle and small-person issues with the JN Evo Bar

Well, not much wind to be had this morning but here's some nice pictures anyway..


I happy to report that the 13m PD2 was nice and stable even in the light winds. It was just a shame I couldn't repeat the big air of yesterday now that we had a camera!
Once I'd finished dawdling about at 5mph, my wife Clare had a play with the kite. The first thing that became apparent is that the new Evo bar is even more unsuited to those of smaller stature than the old CBS3+1.
Now I have long arms and hands like shovels and really like the new layout. However, Clare is nearly a foot shorter than me with somewhat shorter arms and smaller hands. The bar itself is therefore too thick to hold comfortably (the JN bar is chunkier than most) and the reach is far too long.
Now it is of course possible to move the stopper ball to suit her shorter arms, but that doesn't stop the trim adjuster still being miles out of reach, added to which she'd then have a very short depower throw.
If she wants to fly the JN's I think I'll end up having to modify a set-up with a thinner diameter bar, a more compact chicken-loop with a good QR and dispense with the 'alex' release altogether. (ie. connect the c-loop direct to the depower rope. This should bring the whole thing within reach.
As it stands, she looked very uncomfortable on the bar and I can't see her wanting to borrow the JN's much in Cabarete (which is or isn't a good thing, depending on how you look at it!)

Given the funky flower design, I could see a lot of girlies going for the Primadonna2, but the bar isn't ideal for the petite. Maybe all italian kite-girls are giants!


No comments: